Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Demographics for Fayetteville and Hwy 64.

On April 6, 2011, I was unusually alone at home. My mother was in the hospital. I had just finished writing an initial board post about Weber (not one of my best really). ) 8:15, my friend Trisha came by with Guy. I visited for about 15 minutes while Trisha made a few texts and phone calls…..By 8:30 we were out the door. I have not been out driving for a while. I am very isolated here with my mother. We drove around Lincoln County. We started toward Park City through Howell Hill, Lincoln and then finally somewhere near Vann Town. It was 10:30. We then drove through downtown Flintville toward the new 4-lane U.S. 64.  AS we approached the intersection, I noticed a new Dollar General store right behind the existing gas station/ quick mart (it is on the hwy.) We turned east….drove app. 5 miles to the turn off at Elora. The 4 lane was massive….I could hardly recognize the scenery in dark…but I could sense where I was. The original hwy veered off to my right behind Gum Springs Baptist Church. The four lanes kept going. That road met back up with us again. We then turned next at hwy left to go to Elora and the old stone wall at the Fish Hatchery. I then got back on Hwy 64 toward Fayetteville (west). I passed by Jeff’s Market (Flintville) continuing west. The two lane hwy 64 had a large hill climb, a big ridge called Big Cut. I couldn’t even recognize or feel the descent down Big Cut.

Big Cut was a really steep ridge….I had a 73 blue VW bug as my first car. It used to take a concerted effort to climb this thing. Over the course of the years, there have many deaths in car wrecks over this area.

We drove through Kelso….You could hardly tell that we were going through this quaint little town, I had driven all my life through this place at a 45 mph…I was going 65 mph.  We then went over the Elk River. Gone was the steel girter, small, scary bridge that I had dreaded at first then had to learn to cross of my youth?

We entered Fayetteville and past Frito Lay manufacturing. It was (10:18). Third shift would be going on at 11:00; the parking lot was 2/3 full. I turned at Motlow State Community College (My Alma Mater) and made a loop past Franke and c&s Plastics. I came out on state hwy 50 (two lane) to Lynchburg/Metro Moore County (they make every drop of Jack Daniels Whiskey there).I drove south about ¼ of a mile to Hwy 64. I turned east and retraced my steps to the top of Big Cut again. The road was very easy to drive and the climb was not taxing at all. I did lose some speed in my 6 cylinder 1994 Chevy-S10 (Silver is a 4x4). I turned around and drove back West to Fayetteville. I went past Frito Lay again. The parking lot was almost completely full.

Hwy 64 has an industrial 4 lane by pass around the city square. Most county seats in the American South have a central square with a courthouse surrounded by older buildings of business….ours is a specialty squares with antiques and a large fabric business. 30 years ago there was a thriving manufacturing center in Fayetteville, three apparel plants and a mill. The hwy avoids all the old business. At a junction with 231/431, there is a Wal-Mart supercenter. If you continue on the Hwy 64 by-pass you will meet up with the old Hwy 64. The section of Hwy 64 between Fayetteville and Interstate 65 (The main Interstate that connects Birmingham Alabama to Nashville Tennessee) It was made into a four lane Hwy in the late 1980’s- 1990’s (date?). The four lanes that I was driving on earlier is the last 2 lane stretch to be widened between Interstate 24 (connecting Chattanooga Tennessee).

What used to take a good hour (I 65 to I24) has been cut in half time wise). I am curious to how many miles.

I interacted with Trisha (20)….we stopped and picked up a soda. I went in and Trisha stayed out in the truck. We stopped by Deana’s house and she did the Big Cut round trip with Trisha and me. It took us 30 minutes to make the trip. We were at Deanna’s at 10:00. The round trip took approx 30 min. Deanna (20) was having drama with her boyfriend. He kept texting her... he was upset because she was out “riding” with Trisha and another “old” Lady (yeah I am only 41, but their perspective, I am old) Trisha and I discussed make-up. She uses the LA Colors make-up for eye-liner and nail polish. She uses Maybelline mascara. Some Southern women do not use foundation because of the humid climate and if they have clear skin. Deanna was starting Motlow in the fall. Trisha was interviewing at Goodman (the major manufacturing plant in Fayetteville…they make parts for air-conditioners, heaters, and other parts for appliances. The only other businesses in Fayetteville are service like restaurants, doctors, and groceries.



McMahan, P. (2011, April 6). Demographics for Fayetteville and Hwy 64.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment